3 tablespoons olive oil
1 yellow onion, chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped
5 garlic cloves, minced
1 butternut squash, peeled and diced into 1″ cubes
1 1/2 cups green lentils
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1 teaspoon Kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
2 bay leaves
14.5 oz canned, diced tomatoes
8 cups vegetable broth
2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
1 cup fresh Italian kale, ribs removed and torn into pieces
Parmesan (optional, for garnish)
1. In a large Dutch oven, warm the olive oil over medium heat. Add the chopped onion and celery. Cook, stirring often, until the onion is translucent, about 5-7 minutes.
2. Add the garlic, and cook for another minute. Add to butternut squash, lentils, cumin, turmeric, cayenne, thyme, salt, pepper, bay leaves, diced tomatoes, and vegetable broth and increase the heat to high, bringing the soup to a boil.
3. Once boiling, reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer for 25-30 minutes until the butternut squash is tender and the lentils are fully cooked.
4. Remove the bay leaves. Add the red wine vinegar and kale and stir, cooking until the greens have softened, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat.
5. Garnish with parmesan and additional salt and pepper to taste. Serve with bread and butter if desired.