A beautiful and surprising dessert, this stunning galette features a flaky pastry crust, a layer of almond frangipane, and a topping of beautiful slices of blood oranges drizzled with honey. The citrus presentation is a delight to both the eyes and palate. Feel free to serve with a scoop of vanilla ice cream!
CRUST INGREDIENTS:1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour,1/2 tablespoon sugar, 1 teaspoon Kosher salt, 1/2 cup unsalted butter, grated and well chilled, 4-6 tablespoons ice water.
FILLING INGREDIENTS:1/4 cup butter, softened, 1/4 cup sugar, 1/2 cup almond flour, 1 egg, 2 teaspoons almond extract, 4-5 blood oranges, peeled, thinly sliced, seeds removed.
CRUST TOPPING:1 egg, whisked for egg wash, 1 tablespoon coarse sugar FOR SERVING: Honey for drizzling,Vanilla ice cream.
- For the crust, mix the flour, sugar, and salt in a large bowl, stir with a whisk until evenly combined.
- Prepare the ice water by filling a small bowl with ice cubes and adding water. Or, place a small bowl of water in the freezer, and let it get very cold.
- Place the grated butter in the flour mixture. Using a pastry blender, cut the butter and flour mixture together until a coarse texture is reached with some pea-sized pieces of butter remaining. We like to refrigerate the dough at this stage for 10-15 minutes for an even flakier crust.
- Once the ice water is very cold, add 2 tablespoons of the ice water by sprinkling on top of the flour/butter mixture. With a fork, gently toss the mixture. Continue adding ice water one tablespoon at a time tossing after each addition until a rough ball of dough forms. (Avoid adding too much water.)
- Flatten the dough ball into a disk about a one-inch thick, and wrap in plastic wrap.
- Chill the wrapped dough disk for an hour.
- While the dough chills, prepare the filling. Using a fork, mix the butter with the sugar until smooth. Add the almond flour, and mix until combined. Add the almond extract and the egg, and mix again. Set aside.
- Peel and then slice the blood oranges into thin 1/8-inch slices. Let the slices drain on a paper towel-lined plate until ready to assemble the galette.
- Once the dough has chilled, place the dough directly on a sheet of parchment paper and roll into a rough circle, about 1/8-inch-thick. It’s ok if the edges look rustic!
- Preheat the oven to 425⁰F. 11. Assemble the galette. Spread the almond filling on the rolled crust and spread to within 1-inch from the edges. Then, add the blood orange slices in a single layer. Fold the edges over the filling to form a 1-inch wide crust around the outer edge of the galette.12. Use a pastry brush to brush the crust with a lightly beaten egg. Sprinkle the coarse sugar on top of the galette — on the crust and over the orange slices.13. Bake for about 25-28 minutes, or until the crust is lightly browned. Serve with a drizzle of honey and a scoop of vanilla ice cream.