Makes 8 pieces
Also referred to as a “hand roll” because of it’s perfectly hand-sized cone size and shape, temaki sushi is not only delicious, but offers customization and versatility in its ingredients, depending on your location, the season, and personal preference. This recipe is for maguro (tuna), but the sky is the limit when it comes to making these beautiful hand rolls.
Sushi Rice Ingredients:
2 cups short grain white sushi rice2 cups water2 tablespoons rice vinegar1 tablespoon white sugar1 teaspoon salt
Temaki Roll Ingredients:
4 sheets of nori (dried seaweed)8 oz sashimi grade raw tuna2 Japanese or Persian cucumbers1 small avocado2 green onions1/2 tablespoon wasabi paste1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds4 tablespoons sashimi grade ikura (salmon roe)
- Prepare the rice. Rinse the rice in a colander until the milky water runs clear. This releases any excess starch, and helps to keep the rice from becoming gummy.
- Combine the rice and water in a small, lidded pot and stir to incorporate. Cover and cook over medium-high heat until the water begins to boil. Reduce the heat to low, keep covered, and cook until the rice is tender and the water has been absorbed — about 18-20 minutes. If using a rice cooker, turn the rice cooker on, add the rice and water, stir to incorporate. Press the rice down with your hand until the water just covers your hand. Remove your hand and close the lid. Select the ‘white rice’ function. After cooking, let the rice sit for 5 minutes to absorb any remaining moisture.
- Meanwhile, in a small, microwave-safe dish, combine the rice vinegar, sugar, and salt and microwave for 30 seconds, stirring to ensure the sugar and salt have completely dissolved. Remove the rice from the rice cooker, or stovetop, and place in a large bowl. Pour the vinegar mixture over the rice and use a flat paddle to gently fold the mixture to integrate the flavors. Cover the bowl with a towel and set aside.
- Cut the nori sheets in half.
- Prepare the temaki roll ingredients. With a clean, sharp knife, cut the raw tuna into strips. Cut each cucumber into 4 equal sticks removing the seeded center. Halve the avocados, remove the pits, and slice the avocado into strips. Chop the green onions.
- Assemble the temaki sushi by laying a halved nori sheet horizontally, with the rough side up (this helps grip the rice). With the back of a spoon, carefully spread a thin layer of sushi rice on the left half of the nori sheet, leaving a 1/2″ border.
- Diagonally spread a thin layer of wasabi on the rice. Sprinkle with the toasted sesame seeds.
- Place one strip of the tuna, cucumber, and avocado, diagonally on the rice. Sprinkle with green onion and salmon roe.
- From the bottom left corner, diagonally fold up the nori to the top center of the nori sheet.
- Roll the right side of the nori sheet around the cone, using a dab of water to help secure the sheet to itself, and then place seam side down to serve. (This same method may be used for other variations. Swap fillings for salmon, yellowtail, uni, scallop — really, whatever your heart desires.
- Serve temaki sushi with soy sauce. Enjoy!