A rich, creamy dessert, Zabaglione (also known as Zabaione) is a simple Italian custard made with egg yolks, sugar, and sweet Marsala wine. Using a double boiler on the stovetop, the custard whisks together quickly. Serve the custard warm. Or, fold with whipping cream, chill, and serve with sliced strawberries like our recipe below!
1 cup strawberries, sliced1 tablespoon sugar for the strawberries6 large egg yolks 1/3 cup white sugar1/2 cup sweet Marsala wine1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract1 cup heavy cream, whipped4 teaspoons sugar, for brûléeing, if desired4 strawberries, stems on and sliced from the bottom, for garnish
- Wash, hull, and slice the strawberries. Sprinkle with 1 tablespoon of sugar, and toss together. Spoon or place half of the strawberries into 4 glass serving bowls or glasses.
- Prepare the Zabaglione. In a double boiler, or a metal bowl over a saucepan of simmering water, add 6 large egg yolks, 1/3 cup sugar, 1/2 cup sweet Marsala wine, and 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract.
- Whisk the mixture constantly while heating until the mixture thickens into a frothy, light yellow foam, and begins to thicken into a custard. Keep whisking constantly! As the egg yolks heat, the texture will form – stay patient. The custard, when drizzled from the whisk, should be able to hold its shape as a thick ribbon.
- Once the custard has thickened and doubled or tripled in volume, remove from the heat and let cool for 15-20 minutes.
- While the custard cools, whip the heavy cream until extra stiff peaks form.
- Fold the whipped cream into the cooled custard. Spoon some custard into four dessert bowls or glasses. Add the remaining strawberries along the sides of the glass, and cover by spooning more custard. Cover each dish, and chill for 1 hour.
- If, desired, add a teaspoon of sugar to the top of each of the custard cups. Use a culinary torch and brûlée the sugar using a culinary torch until just golden brown. Use a light touch with the flame — sugar can burn quickly!
- Top each dessert with a festively cut strawberry and enjoy!