Serves 6 – 8
Prepare this festive strata the night before when serving breakfast for a crowd. The rich flavors of breakfast sausage, eggs, and cheese are perfectly complemented by savory onions and bell peppers. We love this dish because it is easy, yet hearty. It also reheats well for anyone who might have slept through breakfast!
2 tablespoons butter 1 red bell pepper, diced 1 medium onion, diced 1 lb. breakfast sausage (we used classic pork breakfast sausage) 1 loaf French bread (about 16 oz or, 10 cups cubed) 3 cups fresh spinach, chopped1-1/2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, grated9 large eggs, beaten 2-1/2 cups whole milk1/4 teaspoon mustard powder 1/4 teaspoon cayenne 1/4 teaspoon paprika 1/4 teaspoon Kosher salt 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- In a large sauté pan over medium-high heat, sauté the diced onion and red pepper in butter until the onion is translucent and the peppers are softened. Place the sautéed onions and peppers in a large rectangular baking dish.
- In the same sauté pan, brown the sausage. Break up any chunks into small crumbles. Transfer the cooked sausage to a paper towel-lined bowl to drain excess grease.
- Meanwhile, cube the bread into 1″ cubes. Chop the spinach and shred the cheese. Set each aside.
- Crack the eggs into a medium bowl, and whisk until beaten. Add the milk, mustard powder, cayenne, paprika, salt, and pepper to the eggs, and whisk again.
- Add the cooked sausage, cubed bread, and 1 cup of cheese to the strata pan. Carefully, mix together with the onions and peppers and chopped spinach. Pour the egg mixture over the strata, and top with 1/2 cup of shredded cheese. Cover, and refrigerate overnight, or for at least 4 hours.
- An hour before serving, preheat the oven to 350°F and bake the strata for 50-55 minutes, or until golden and puffy, and the internal temperature in the center reaches 165°F. Let cool for 5 minutes before serving.