Bacon, Cheddar, and Jalapeno Skillet Cornbread
Makes 8 wedges
This savory cornbread is packed with flavor! Add-ins of bacon, cheddar cheese, shallot, corn, and jalapeño peppers turn this not-so-average side dish into a feature dish. We recommend enjoying this extra-moist cornbread warm with a dab of butter and a drizzle of honey (or maybe some hot honey for a little extra kick)!
6 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled1 cup yellow cornmeal1 cup all-purpose flour1 tablespoon baking powder1/2 teaspoon salt1/4 teaspoon black pepper1 cup corn kernels (fresh or frozen)2 tablespoons minced shallot1 cup extra sharp cheddar cheese, coarsely grated1 jalapeño, one half sliced crosswise, one half diced1-1/3 cups buttermilk1/3 cup melted butter, plus 1 tablespoon, divided1/2 cup plain unflavored Greek yogurt1 large egg, beaten
- On the stove top, cook the bacon in a 10-inch cast iron skillet until crispy. Remove and let drain on a paper towel-lined plate. Once cooled, crumble or cut the bacon into bits. Wipe out the excess bacon grease from the pan.
- Preheat the oven to 375 ° F. Place the cast iron skillet in the oven to preheat as the oven preheats.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the dry ingredients: the cornmeal, flour, baking powder, salt, and pepper and whisk together until evenly combined. Fold into the flour mixture, the cooked bacon, corn kernels, shallot, grated cheese and diced jalapeño (save a handful of the cheese and the jalapeño slices for a top garnish on the batter).
- In a separate bowl, mix the wet ingredients together. Whisk the buttermilk, melted butter, yogurt, and egg together. Pour the mixture over the dry ingredients and stir with a spoon until just combined.
- Use quality hot pads to remove the preheated cast iron skillet from the oven and melt the remaining 1 tablespoon of butter in the hot skillet. Immediately pour the cornbread batter into the prepared pan and sprinkle with the reserved jalapeño slices and grated cheese.
- Bake the cornbread for 20-25 minutes, or until the top is golden. Serve warm, with butter and honey, or even hot honey for a little extra kick!