Grilled Poppy Seed Pound Cake with Summer Nectarines and Crème Fraîche
Makes 2 loaves
Don’t forget the grill when it’s time to make dessert! This poppy seed pound cake is baked to moist and golden perfection, then thick slices are buttered, grilled, and served with slices of juicy nectarines and a generous dollop of crème fraîche. This dessert is destined to make any summer evening meal truly spectacular.
Pound Cake Ingredients:
2 tablespoons unsalted butter (for greasing the loaf pans)3 cups all purpose flour1 teaspoon salt1/2 teaspoon cardamom1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder1/2 cup vegetable oil3/4 cup olive oil 3 eggs1-1/2 cups whole milk2 cups granulated sugar1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract1/4 cup sour cream3 tablespoons poppy seeds
4 tablespoons butter3 tablespoons sugar1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice2 nectarines
1/2 cup crème fraîche
- Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- Grease two 9″ loaf pans with butter.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour salt, cardamom, and baking powder until incorporated.
- In a stand mixer on low speed, use the paddle attachment to mix the vegetable oil, olive oil, eggs, whole milk, sugar, vanilla, and sour cream until incorporated. Slowly add the flour mixture to the wet ingredients and mix on medium speed for 3 minutes or until the ingredients are evenly incorporated. The batter will be somewhat soupy, don’t worry, this is correct. Use a rubber spatula to fold in the poppy seeds.
- Evenly divide the batter between the two greased loaf pans and bake for 60 minutes, or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Once the pound cake has baked and cooled, cut thick slices and butter both sides of each slice.
- Halve the nectarines and remove the pits. Dip in the butter sauce.
- Lightly oil grill grates, then grill the pound cake slices over medium high heat for one minute, turning halfway through until grill marks appear. Grill the nectarine halves flesh side down until the fruit is hot and sweating, roughly 3-5 minutes.
- Cool the nectarine halves, then cut them into thin slices. Combine the butter, sugar, and lemon juice in a small saucepan over medium heat. Stir until the butter melts, the sugar has dissolved and the mixture begins to bubble. Add the nectarine slices and cook in the syrup for 2-3 minutes.
- Top the grilled poppy seed pound cake with the nectarines and a dollop of crème fraîche. Serve immediately.