Grilled Chicken Rainbow Kabobs
Makes 6-8 long kabobs
Try these colorful chicken kabobs tonight! Fresh, boneless chicken and a medley of vegetables are marinated, skewered, then grilled to perfection. You’ll find these kabobs both pleasing to the eye and palate!
2 boneless and skinless chicken breasts (about 1-1/2 lb), cut into 1-1/2” cubes 1 red pepper, cut into 1-inch chunks 1 orange pepper, cut into 1-inch chunks 1 summer squash, cut into 1/2-inch slices1 zucchini, cut into 1/2-inch slices 1/2 red onion, cut into 1-inch chunks 10 leaves of basil, chiffonade cut for optional garnish
1/4 cup soy sauce 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce 2 cloves garlic, minced 2 tablespoons honey 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice 3 tablespoons olive oil 2 teaspoons hot sauce 1 teaspoon oregano
- Mix all of the marinade ingredients together in a medium bowl and whisk until combined.
- Cut the chicken into 1-1/2-inch cubes and pour 3/4 of the marinade over the chicken. Stir until the chicken is well-coated. Cover and refrigerate. Allow the chicken to marinate for 1-4 hours.
- Prepare the vegetables. Cut the peppers into chunks that will easily fit on skewers. Slice the summer squash and zucchini into even slices and cut the red onion into chunks. Place the veggies in a large bowl and drizzle with the remaining 1/4 of the marinade. Carefully toss the vegetables in the marinade. Cover and refrigerate until ready to assemble the skewers.4. Assemble the kabobs. Rub each skewer with a little olive oil before skewering the meat and veggies. This will help later when removing the grilled food from the skewers. Skewer the marinated chicken pieces onto each kabob stick alternating with pieces of red pepper, orange pepper, summer squash, zucchini, red onion. Work over a large sheet pan while assembling the skewers. The process can get a little messy, and the sheet pan helps to contain drips. Clean-up is infinitely easier and countertops are left contaminated.
- Prepare the grill until very hot. Make sure that the grilling grate is clean and well-oiled. Grill the kabobs for 2-3 minutes on each side or until the internal temperature of the chicken reaches 165˚F.
- If desired, garnish the kabobs with sprinkle of fresh basil leaves cut in a chiffonade style.
- Serve and enjoy immediately!