Our elegant recipe for herbed linguine with mussels highlights the beautiful briny flavors of this special shellfish. A light, yet satisfying garlic-wine sauce complements the delicate mussels alongside the herbed pasta. This dish anchors the menu for an evening of deliciousness.
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/4 cup butter
4 garlic cloves, sliced
3 shallots, diced
1 teaspoon fennel seeds
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
3/4 cup dry white wine
2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
4 cups seafood or vegetable broth, divided
2 lbs cultivated mussels, cleaned
1 lb thin linguine
1/4 cup half-and-half, room temperature
3/4 teaspoon Kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 cup fresh parsley, chopped
1/2 cup Parmigiano-Reggiano, shredded
1 lemon, cut into wedges
Additional salt and pepper
- In a large pot over medium-low heat, melt the olive oil and the butter. Add the garlic, shallot, fennel seeds, and red pepper flake. Cook for about 2-3 minutes, or until the shallots soften. Be careful not to scorch the garlic. Add the white wine, white wine vinegar, and one cup of the broth, and bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce to a low heat and simmer for 20 minutes. allowing the flavors to incorporate, and for the broth to reduce.
- Bring the broth to a boil again, and add the mussels. Cook for about 3-5 minutes, shaking the pot occasionally until the mussels have just opened. Transfer the mussels to a bowl and tent with foil in order to keep them warm. Discard any mussels that did not open during cooking.
- Add the remaining 3 cups of seafood (or vegetable broth) to the reduced shallot mixture, and bring the broth back to a boil. Add the linguine. Continue to boil the linguine in the broth, stirring often, until it begins to become just tender. TIP! Stir the pasta often; add more liquid (broth or water) if needed, to prevent the linguine from sticking to the bottom of the pot as it cooks!
- Return the mussels to the pot and cover, simmering until the pasta is al dente, about 3 additional minutes. Stir in the half-and-half, salt, and pepper and cook for an additional minute.
- Serve immediately with a generous amount of parsley, a sprinkle of Parmigiano-Reggiano, lemon wedges, and salt and pepper to taste.