Serves 6 – 8
This classic potato salad recipe features all of the best add-ins! With red potatoes as the base, this recipe features mini dill pickles that add a briny tang, celery for wonderful crunch, hard boiled eggs for richness and depth, and crispy bacon for a top garnish. This recipe is picnic perfect, and sure to be a family favorite all summer long!
- 1/4 cup red onion, finely diced
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 3 pounds red potatoes, skin on, cut into 1/2” dice
- 5 hard boiled eggs, peeled and chopped
- 5 slices bacon, cooked & crumbled for garnish
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 1/4 cup mini dill pickles, diced
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 5 chives, minced, for garnish
- Finely dice the red onion, then soak the diced onion in the white vinegar while prepping the rest of the potato salad. This step mellows out the onion flavor in the final dish.2. Wash and dice the potatoes, then boil in heavily salted water for about 10-12 minutes or until just fork-tender. Drain the cooked potatoes and then cool to room temperature on a large sheet pan.
- Meanwhile, boil the eggs. Place cold eggs in a saucepan, add cold water, enough to cover by at least one inch. Bring the water and eggs to a boil over high heat covering the saucepan with a lid. Once the water boils, remove from heat and let stand for 12 minutes – set the timer! (It’s the extended exposure to heat that turns the yolks green.) After the 12 minutes are completed, pour out the hot water and replace with ice-cold water. As the cold water warms from the eggs, replace with more cold water. Let the eggs cool, then peel and chop.
- Cook the bacon in a skillet until crispy, drain on a paper-towel lined plate and then crumble for a garnish.
- Dice the celery and mini dill pickles.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the dressing ingredients: mayonnaise, sour cream, Dijon, celery seed, sugar, Kosher salt, garlic powder, and pepper. Whisk in the vinegar and the soaked red onions, and stir until the dressing is well-combined.
- Add the cooked and cooled potatoes to a large bowl, add the celery, pickles, and chopped hard boiled eggs. Mix carefully with the dressing until combined and coated with dressing.
- Garnish with the cooked bacon crumbles and chives just before serving.